Tuesday, October 23

Prayer's struggle

I have this one specific prayer request that I've talked to God for about 4 months now. Not every day but regularly...several times each week, to be sure.

I was reminded yesterday by a Mexican friend of a story in the book of Daniel where Daniel prayed for 24 days on a certain request. On the 24th day, an angel came to Daniel and said that he had left immediately to minister to Daniel but was stopped in battle and had only just been freed to come. If Daniel hadn't continued to pray until he received an answer, I wonder if he would have missed out on the blessing.

This is a good encouragement for me to persevere and faithfully bring my request before God. Plus, even without this encouragement, I know that God cares about the things that weigh on my heart, including this.

But I was also reminded, about two months, ago of a passage in Romans: "Therefore God gave them over in the lusts of their hearts..." (Romans 1:24). This came to mind because although I know God cares, I have no desire for Him to answer my prayer in the way I desire, unless it is also what He desires for my life. I don't want to be given over to my desires only to find out one day down the road that I "settled" instead of waiting for God's blessing...much like the story of King Saul and David. The people of Israel demanded a king, so God gave them Saul...a weak and unfaithful king...when instead the people of Israel should have waited for the "man after God's heart," King David.

All this to say, I'll keep praying faithfully, like Daniel, until God provides an answer. And I keep praying humbly, seeking God's time over my own desires.

No comments: