Wednesday, February 1

A restful thought

The last few nights, I've had trouble falling asleep. My mind has just been weighted with thoughts. And last night, in addition to a mindful of thoughts (or maybe because of them), I was feeling anxious, overwhelmed, weary, and lost. Completely burdened down by uncertainties and fears. No worse feeling, I think...because the more I thought, the more anxious I felt; the more anxious I felt, the more I continued to dwell on those thoughts. I was on the verge of a great deal of crying.

So whenever I had a hard time falling asleep or whenever I need to still my thinking so that I can fall asleep, I go through the alphabet thinking of various names or descriptions of God. And last night, I thought of the attributes that I most needed from Him at that time. With each word, I felt my worries fall away, as I turned my thoughts on God instead of myself. The crease lines on my face smoothed out. Relaxation and trust came back to soothe me. (I think I made it to the letter M as I don't remember much after that.)


In peace I will both lie down and sleep, for You alone, O LORD, make me to dwell in safety.
Psalm 4:8

The LORD will accomplish what concerns me; Your lovingkindness, O LORD, is everlasting;
Psalm 138:8

No comments: