Saturday, July 17

Integrity

Back in 1997-1998, I was told for the first time that I was a person of integrity, which those people appreciated. Even though I was a high school graduate, I didn't really understand what that word meant...so I asked. I was told integrity is doing what you say you are going to do. Your life is consistent with your word.
I'll admit, when I was told this, my first thought was "well, of course I have integrity then...why wouldn't people, especially Christians, do what they say?" I know...I was a naive good Christian girl who thought the best of everyone.

Fast forward 13 years and I find myself observing this person that I have become wondering where the integrity has gone. Integrity isn't just doing what you say but also consistently doing what you should...living one's life to a high standard regardless if people are watching or not. It's a choice to live a life that doesn't just get by on minimal effort but to do their very best even if it's a job/task that is disliked. It's to live a life as such that people cannot cast blame, as Paul encourages in the Bible...a life above reproach.

What I'm wondering now is if you can have integrity in some elements but not in others? My initial thoughts is that you either have it or you don't...no middle ground or grey area. But truth be told, even if that is possible, I don't want partial integrity and I don't want full integrity just for accolades. I want to be a person of integrity, in part, to fill good about who I am. To know that I am doing my best...to know that I care enough...to know that regardless of what goes on around me, my reputation is worth something...to know that my life is pleasing to God because God cares about the details.

I don't have all the answers. This idea of integrity has just been rolling around in my head this past week. I think most people would say that I am a person of integrity. However, there is an element of complacency that has taken residence in my heart and mind. Complacency and integrity do not make for good partnerships. So in a renewed conscious attempt to fully be a person of integrity, I need to cast out complacency and make myself do what I should regardless if I care about what I'm doing or not.

I think integrity might be one of those things that is harder to achieve than it is easier to maintain.

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men.
Colossians 3:23

No comments: