Thursday, July 15

Don Miller is having a contest of sorts, asking people to share what kind of story they want for their life, whether it is just in the next year or even more long-term. I honestly haven't read his book "A Million Miles in a Thousand Years" mostly because I'm too busy reading books for school. It's a book that I plan to get to one day.

I read all the details of the contest and simply thought, I have nothing. Nothing to share. I have no idea what kind of story I want to live because I have little idea of what God has in store for me. After reading a few people's story submissions, I was left feeling frustrated.

Let me start off by saying that God is faithful. Always has been. Always will be.

That being said, I often feel like I'm left in the dark in regards to my life and future. I had no clue what I was going to do my life until my second year at community college. One day, God revealed that He wanted me to go into ministry. I felt like the weight on my shoulders lifted, the heavens had opened, and the choirs were singing! But "ministry" is quite an expansive field. It was in my last year of Bible college when God revealed that missions was going to be in my future. Again, weight gone, heavens, choir. But "missions" is still quite expansive. For all I know, I could be in ministry here in the USA and supporting foreign missionaries...not directly involved overseas myself.

A few years later, God put graduate school on my heart...and that's where I am today. I'm working full time in a job I KNOW I'm not called to long-term, working my way through graduate school. The end is in sight but once more I remain clueless as to what the next step is. In some ways I feel like I'm just drifting along. But when I look back into my past, I clearly see God's hand and He has faithfully shown me the next step, even when I felt it was the eleventh hour.

As for my future, there are many things that sound interesting to me but what I'm realising is that I'm not always confident in myself and my abilities to work in those situations. Right now I mulling over whether or not to pursue my doctorate degree to be a Bible teacher/professor. I'm not sure if God is leading in this direction and I question my ability to teach well.

So in the next year of my life, my only desire is to trust God, patiently. I know that He will guide me once more. In the next year, I will finish my Master's degree and I will either begin to look for a ministry position, either here or overseas, or I will start the process of working towards a doctorate degree. I don't know if this is much of a story but it's where I am at. I just want to be faithful to what God wants of me and to where He wants me to go.

Having shared all this, I guess I might as well enter the contest. I do think this seminar would be great to attend as I relish anything that provides insight into who I am and how God is working in me. Not that this seminar would provide all the answers but it might simply provide encouragement and inspiration to keep on.

In case you're interested in learning more yourself, check out www.donmilleris.com/conference.


Living a Better Story Seminar from All Things Converge Podcast on Vimeo.

No comments: