Wednesday, June 16

Cloudy with a chance of mood swings...

Now the Spirit of the LORD had departed from Saul, and an evil spirit from the LORD tormented him...Whenever the spirit from God came upon Saul, David would take his harp and play. Then relief would come to Saul; he would feel better, and the evil spirit would leave him. I Samuel 16:14, 23

I remember reading this as a child and teen wondering how the Lord would/could send an evil spirit. I still don't have an answer but I do feel like I understand these verses a bit more.

Lately, I've been having days where I wake up and I am just as fine as can be. Then a couple hours later, I find that a sour mood has quickly settled on my mind and heart, tainting everything about me...my outlook, my thoughts, my relationships, etc. I become crabby Mindy or irritated Mindy or even angry Mindy. I hate it...I hate being like this!

When these moods strike, I often will stream music through my computer...either Delirious or the local Christian station. I figure that even if only one or two songs get to my heart and mind, then I will be that much better for it.

I could blame these moods on the long (very long) stretch of grey skies, cool temperature and constant rain or a dozen other things...but I know better. My heart and mind are not being daily anchored into the Spirit of God.


You see, I'm not that different than King Saul. I need the Spirit of God to be present in my life for there to be any good in me. If the Spirit of God isn't present then my selfish, prideful heart turns sour. I don't want my life to end up like Saul's, chasing one battle after the next out of self-preservation.  I'd rather be like Exodus 14:14; The LORD will fight for you; you need only to be still! That kind of stillness comes from a place of contentment, trust and wisdom.

No comments: