Friday, January 29

Clean Hands and Pure Hearts

When words are many, sin is not absent, but he who holds his tongue is wise--Proverbs 10:19

Today, my friends and I are having coffee with the two missionaries visiting our church. I'm not really sure what we will talk about. The missionaries that come through like to touch base with us candidates, to keep us encouraged, provide direction, and open up their corners of the world to us. And I gladly receive! These times are such a blessing. Last year, I think I was on an encouragement high for a week.

He who guards his mouth and his tongue keeps himself from calamity--Proverbs 21:23

And yet, today I am a bit nervous. Since last year, things have happened. Occasionally we are bogged down with discouragement or frustration. I really don't want this time to become a slander/complaining/whining/exhausting conversation between the five of us. I think it is okay and probably good to talk about some elements of frustrations but I don't want it to be the sole focus of our coffee time. Above all, I want to have clean hands and a pure heart at the end of our time together instead of wondering if I should have kept my mouth shut. I hate that feeling. It leaves me feeling yucky and causes even more worry and frustration. Instead, I want wisdom and joy to be breathed between us all. May it be so.



The mouth of the righteous man utters wisdom, and his tongue speaks what is just--Psalm 37:30

No comments: