Monday, December 7

Der Nussknacker

Every December the radio speaks of the enchantment that The Nutcracker ballet casts the citizens of Seattle, Washington. Inspiring, good cheer, Christmas magic, family tradition!

Each year (for the last decade or so) my younger sister and I have been in awe of the radio enchantments, always declaring that we must go! But it never worked out until this year. We invited our older sister and made it a sister event. We went to the Nutcracker on November 28. Between Thanksgiving dinner, Black Friday sales, and the Nutcracker, this was a great weekend to jump start the Christmas season! Our showing was at 2 pm, after which we went out for dinner. Traffic going into Seattle was surprisingly great!

Anyhow, back to the ballet. I had only seen one ballet performance in my entire life, which was Swan Lake, when I was in Ukraine. I think my younger sister Amy had only seen one herself and my older sister none. So we weren't really sure what we were in for. Therefore we bought the cheapest tickets just in case the show a dud, which it surely could not be since the radio declared its goodness!

The dancing...oh, the dancing...simply beautiful and graceful and strong and sweet. Charmed my not-so-little socks right off. I have decided I like ballet!

The music...oh, the music...elegant, moving, classic...I found myself humming the songs later on that evening. Bum, bum, ba, bum, bum, ba, ba, ba.

The costumes...stunning. Really, that's all there is to say. Simply stunning!

The story...what? huh? this is the great story that starts people's Christmas season???? This is where the Nutcracker fell short in my sisters' and my eyes. The story is a dud. I don't get it...I don't get the charm, the magic, the Christmas good cheer. Nope, nada, none! Oh well. So I don't think I'll see the Nutcracker again but I do enjoy ballet. Consider it a lesson learned.

Any disappointment was washed away by a slice of Carrot Cake Cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory. Oh my...that cheesecake can cover a multitude of sorrows. Good thing there isn't a Cheesecake Factory anywhere close. Plus, its always nice to spend time my sisters, so overall, a good night!

No comments: