Wednesday, November 11

Random Thoughts on Work

**This post is not meant to be whiny, ungrateful or impatient. I am not even venting...these are just thoughts on work as it stands today and my calling on life. There is a longing in this post but it is grounded on the thought that God is doing a work in me. Just thought I should make this disclaimer! :)

I have been so bored at work since last Wednesday...not enough work coming across my desk. I have worked on the "problems tasks" that I previously ignored, for such a time as this. I have even started the Christmas letter project (a task that I have kind of taken over since working here) just to give myself something to do.

Beyond this past week though, I'm just bored of this job. This job doesn't excite me or use my strengths. I sit at the computer 40 hours a week. I do have good moments when I'm interacting and building relationships with customers but in general, it is pretty apparent that this is not where my heart is. That being said, I am thankful for this job...it is a good job, with a good boss, and fun little perks (the occasional Starbuck's drink, occasionally leaving early, etc...). Plus, it pays the bills and is allowing me to work on my Master's degree.

Anyhow, I've been mewing over "job satisfaction" lately, wondering if it is overrated and more of a generational issue. My grandpa worked 60-80 hours a week at a steel mill to provide for his family. He was diligent and hard-working up until he retired years later. My dad worked 40-80 hours a week at Boeing for 30+ years, in a very stressful situation. He groaned and moaned but was diligent and hard-working to provide for his family. We knew he was unhappy with his job but there was never a question of looking for a new job that pleased him or matched his gifts, for either my dad or grandpa. They just did want needed to be done. I know if I were the sole provider for a family such as my dad and grandpa were, I'd take any job offered to me that would support my family, regardless of likes/dislikes...at least, I think I would.

I know that there have been studies done to show that people who are matched with a job that uses their skills and strengths, are generally more happy and satisfied and are more invested in the company/organization. So there are definite perks to having a job that you enjoy. But when does this need for job satisfaction become all about my wants/desires or just not being content with where you are and with what you have? Moreover, how does one remain content when you are clearly in a job that doesn't suit you? I know it's about finding joy in all circumstances or letting the joy of the Lord be my strength but that's not always easy, especially when you have too much time on your hands.

I think part of the "problem" is that I know what I've been called to do...to be in ministry and be a part of God's mission to share the gospel...and I'm not there. I know this job is temporary...a holding period in my life but I feel like I'm a circle and this job is a square hole...or I'm the square peg in a round hole...however it goes! I have wandered around on the internet to see what ministry jobs are presently out there...but I'm not even sure what I'm looking for at this point...really, I'm just trying to use up working time since its been oh-so-quiet.

Anyhow, thanks for letting me roll this around in my head a bit and keep up the good work!

1 comment:

My name is Cait said...

Oh my! That is so where I am at at the moment. Knowing I'm supposed to be in full-time ministry but struggling to plod along in a less than satisfactory job.
I offer no advice other than Paul telling us to be content in all situations but if you have any better advice than that then I'm keen to hear it.