Thursday, November 12

New Record Needed

Ever feel stuck? like a broken record? Round and round you go...listening to the same song...over and over...

In the Bible, Apostle Paul said that he struggled with doing things he didn't want to do and the things he wanted to do, he didn't do.

For me it's a mind thing. The same thing repeats in my head and takes over my thinking; cultivated from my childhood days and furthermore by media, books, etc...over and over.

Tuesday night at youth group, we were talking about that are some things that affect your mind and choosing God over the things. One sweet girl asked me what to do if there is something that isn't good but does affect her thinking. Great question! So my answer to her was 1) admit to God (and possibly someone else) that it is a struggle/problem, 2) find Scripture that is applicable and remind yourself to focus on God instead of the thought and 3) change your thinking: every time the thought enters your head, decide not to think about it, ask God for help, and repeat those Scripture verses. I told her by doing so (from personal experience) you truly can change your thinking.

Fast forward 1.5 or 2 hours...that's it...1.5 or 2 hours! I know! I found myself dwelling on certain thoughts (again, for the millionth time) and I said outloud, "Lord, how do I stop these thoughts?"

So Jesus said: **tap, tap** "...is thing on?...What did you just say to the sweet girl at your youth group? Practice what you preach! You know what to do...so do it. I'll help but you need to decide to change your thoughts first."

**crickets** **gulp**

Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom...II Corinthians 3:17...it looks like I have the opportunity to listen to a new record after all.

No comments: