Tuesday, November 10

Weekend Adventures in the Kitchen

Last Wednesday, I shared about some recipes I was thinking of trying. I'm sure you've been dying to know what it is I've done....oh....you haven't? Well, bear with me anyways.

Playing in the kitchen is a great way to procrastinate, I mean, try new things! I had a frozen whole chicken that I wanted to play with. So I thawed it out, dressed it up and played "Scrabble" with him. Since I won, I got to eat him. I didn't feel like a roast chicken, although I'm sure that would have been lovely. So I made Chicken A La King. It was pretty darn tasty. I added dill, cumin, and more salt to the recipe. I also thickened my up considerably because I didn't want Chicken a la soup. Served on rice and enjoyed with an episode of Monk.

Last Wednesday, I was also debating on what to do with my remaining Chex cereal. I decided to try the Caramel Corn (only with cereal and not popcorn). My reasoning was that if it flops, I would have no problem throwing it away and saving myself from unnecessary sugar. It didn't flop. Overall, I'd have to say that using popcorn is better...the texture is more suitable. But I have discovered that when you mix caramel with chex, you get Frosted Flakes...seriously, it tastes just like it, even though I don't think Frosted Flakes is supposed to be caramelly.

I know Monday is not part of the weekend but I'm throwing it in anyways for the sake of this entry. Last night I whipped up a batch of Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies. If you click on the link, you will see that they are technically called Old-Fashioned Soft Pumpkin Cookies. Yep, they are soft. I've decided that although soft cookies are yum, it is also nice if there a bit of crispness to the outside. Anyhow, if I were remaking this recipe, I think I'd want to add in some Pumpkin Pie Spice or more pumpkin or substitute Pumpkin Pie Filling for the puree. Basically the cookies are good (worth making) but could use a little more umph!

That's my kitchen update for the week but I could use another cup of coffee!

No comments: