Friday, January 6

The will of God, part 3

So why am I doing this mini-series on understanding God's will? Well, to be frank, there are times when I feel that God's will eludes me. I want answers...I want a destination in view and not just fragments...I want to feel and know that I am doing what God would have me to do.

But I recognize that I'm coming at this as if I just need to find the right clue that will reveal all to me. And that's not necessarily right. Anyhow, click here if you'd like to read part 1 (book thoughts) and part 2 (blog thoughts). In the meanwhile, let's dig deeper and this time, into the very book that hold the words of God. If we want to know God and His will, then we should start (and end?) with His own words, right? And actually, it's quite easy to find some statements that speak of God's will for me:
And so, dear brothers and sisters, I plead with you to give your bodies to God because of all he has done for you. Let them be a living and holy sacrifice--the kind he will find acceptable. This is truly the way to worship him. Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you in a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.  --Romans 12:1-2

The Lord has told you what is good, and this is what he requires of you: to do what is right, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.  --Micah 6:8

From the rising of the sun to the place where it sets, the name of the LORD is to be praised.  --Psalm 113:3

Wash and make yourselves clean. Take your evil deeds out of my sight; stop doing wrong. Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.  --Isaiah 1:16-17

Understanding what the Lord's will is...be filled with the Spirit, speaking to one another with psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit. Sing and make music from your heart to the Lord, always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.  --Ephesians 5:17-20

Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind; and love your neighbor as yourself.  --Luke 10:27
There so much more that I could add to this list and I'm sure you may have some Scripture that has come to your mind. Feel free to share such Scripture.

Oh, how could I forget this verse:
Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.  --Matthew 28:19-20
That another important one to remember and live by.

So where do these verses leave us?
  • Let God transform (I love that word!) your heart and mind, by giving up your own will.
  • Do what is right: fighting for justice, protecting and caring for the vulnerable.
  • Make disciples: help others become more like Christ.
  • And don't forget to love, praise the Lord, and be thankful!
Understanding God's will is much simpler when having a small list to focus on. Instead of feeling like I'm floundering or waiting, this list provides some elements that I can and should pursue. Right now! It doesn't matter where I am, whether here in Washington state or somewhere around the world, this list doesn't change...it remains constant and applicable. Always!

Thoughts? Scripture to share?

No comments: