Tuesday, May 10

Yummy Bran Muffins

Okay...so I think this is my newest addiction. You might be thinking, "bran muffins? really, Mindy??" But let me assure you that these are not only very tasty but they are very healthy! And another great thing about them is that when I eat two muffins, they keep me full for the whole morning (from 7am-12pm). Love it!!! Oh, and they freeze super well...I bag them up two muffins per bag and either throw a bag into the fridge the night before or even grab a bag out of the freezer before I leave for work.

So, let's review: tasty...healthy...keeps me full...and freezes well!!!! A winning combo.
So, without further ado, here's the recipe:

1.5 cups wheat bran (I use Kellogg's All Bran)
1 cup fat free vanilla yogurt (okay, so I buy those 6 oz yogurt containers and then add 1/4 cup milk)
1/3 cup applesauce
2 egg whites
4 packets of splenda
1.5 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup flour (I use oat flour but white or wheat would work fine too)
1 teaspoon each of baking powder and baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup cranberries (I use diced prunes because our office was sent 25 lbs by mistake...raisins, dried cherries, etc would work well too)

Preheat the oven to 375F/190C. Either use muffin liners or spray the pan well.

In a medium mixing bowl, combine the wheat bran, applesauce, yogurt/milk, egg whites, sugar/splenda, and vanilla extract. Mix well and let sit for 10 minutes.

In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Add to wet moisture and mix until mostly blended. Add in dried fruit and stir only until combined. Spoon into the muffin liners, approx 2/3 full. Should make 12 muffins.

Bake for 20 minutes or until the toothpick come out clean.
Yummy warm or cool. Throw into bags and freeze or eat and enjoy!
A good way to incorporate fiber into your diet...if you're thinking about that type of thing! :)

No comments: