Sunday, January 2

Books to read in 2011

I guess this a bit of a resolution. I tend to think about resolutions but not really make any. But I'm sitting here on my couch, looking at my bookshelf and seeing titles that I own but haven't read or titles of books I read a while ago that would be worth re-reading. So, here's a small list of what I'd like to read in 2011:
  1. Radical: Taking Back Your Faith from the American Dream by David Platt (started this but haven't finished)
  2. The War of Art: Break Through the Blocks and Win Your Inner Creative Battles by Steven Pressfield
  3. How to Give Away Your Faith by Paul Little
  4. The Knowledge of the Holy by A.W. Tozer
  5. The Message of the Sermon on the Mount by John R.W. Stott (read this in college and remember thinking it was so good!)
  6. Persuasion by Jane Austen (I've seriously started this maybe 3 times...yet to finish!)
  7. So You Don't Want to go to Church Anymore: An Unexpected Journey by Wayne Jacobsen and Dave Coleman
  8. Les Miserable by Victor Hugo (I've owned this book for about 10 years...only read about 1/3rd)
  9. A good biography...although I don't have one in particular yet...I'll have to do some scouting. Maybe something on Helen Keller, Fanny Crosby, Oswald Chambers, C.S. Lewis, or someone else...any suggestions?
  10. Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen (my sister says this is her favorite)
  11. Something by Henri J.M. Nouwen...any suggestions?
  12. Sacred Rhythms: Arranging Our Lives for Spiritual Transformation by Ruth Barton
Honestly, this is just part of what I'll read this year...once my thesis paper is done in March, I'll have oodles of time on my hands (hah! I'm probably kidding myself!). If any of these are super good, I'll let you know. Let me know if there is a "must read" on your list, that I should consider.

4 comments:

matt said...

i enjoyed 'the inner voice of love' by nouwen

Mindy said...

perfect! I just ordered that yesterday since it had high reviews.

Kaci Jo said...

Two biographies I have absolutely loved are Memoirs of an Ordinary Pastor by DA Carson. (It is memoir about his father.) Another great one is A Passion For God. It is a biography about AW Tozer. Seriously both of these books are on my top five all time favorite book list.

Mindy said...

Thanks Kaci Jo for the suggestions...I just pick up the Tozer biography. Right now I have a thesis paper to finish and most of those other books just waiting for attention. :)