Monday, October 25

Books to read

I like to read. A lot.

When I was younger, I would get so lost in books that people would have to sharply and repeatedly say my name so that I would snap out of the little world, created by my book. I loved that!

I don't get as lost into stories as I used but I still love a good book and would almost always choose a good book over a TV or a movie. One thing that I look forward to in the future is to read a book together with my husband and to read to my kiddos, if the Lord wills.

Anyhow, I got to thinking of the few books that I found really good, that I thought I'd share with you:

  • Eric Liddell: Pure Gold by David McCasland--This is a biography on the famous "Chariots of Fire" runner. Not only is this book interesting and easy to read but very enriching. I found myself challenged by the life and devotion that Eric had for God. If I could encourage you to read one book, it would be this! He is one person I cannot wait to meet one day!
  • A Return to Modesty: Discovering the Lost Virtue by Wendy Shalit--I read this book in Germany and found it very good. Admittedly, it's a bit wordy and dry at times but if you keep reading you'll keep finding good nuggets throughout it. As a secular Jewish woman, Wendy writes about the need for modesty in our society and how the loss of it is dangerous. Her research is very thorough and surprising. You'll come away campaigning for modesty! (Warning...her cover is a bit "scandalous.")
  • Girl Meets God: On the Path to a Spiritual Life by Lauren Winner--This book is story of the journey that Lauren Winner experienced in her relationship with God and self. A child of a nominal Jewish dad and a complacent Baptist mom, Lauren choose to be convert to Orthodox Judaism at a young age. During her early college years, she was wooed by Christ and became a Christian, forsaking all things Jewish. Missing the rhythm of Judaism, Lauren has found how to incorporate her upbringing into her relationship with Christ and this book shares that journey.
  • The Message of the Sermon on the Mount by John Stott--Okay, honestly, I don't remember much from this book. I had to read it in college but I remember really liking it and feeling like I was understanding the Sermon on the Mount (Matt 5-7) more clearly. It's on my "must read again" stack.
I'm sure there is many more great books I could share with you but I'm drawing a blank now. What good books have you found worth reading?

No comments: