Tuesday, August 10

After the beep...

One regular part of my job involves calling people for any variety of reasons. In the 3 years I have been here, I have come to dislike leaving messages, to a degree.


Voicemail (VM): You've reach the desk of John Smith. I'm either away from my desk or on the other line (or out playing golf, or off work at 1pm (!!!) or on a 3 week vacation but my voicemail won't tell you any of this). Please leave a message and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. Thank you.
...Beep...
Me: (spoken calmly but with importance) Hi John, this is Mindy from Northwest Ingredients. I'm calling in regards to your coconut order. I was just notified by the coconut company that their warehouse only has 42 of the 112 cases that you ordered. They are expecting more to arrive by next Monday so we can either ship the 42 cases or wait until Monday and ship everything all at once. Please give me a...
...Beep...
VM: This is the voicemail system. To review your message, press 1. To delete and re-record your message, press 2. To send, press 3 or simply hang up.
Me: (Press 2--big sigh)
VM: Please record.
...Beep...
Me: (Less calm, more direct) Hi John, this is Mindy from Northwest Ingredients. I'm calling in regards to your coconut order. I was just notified that the warehouse only has 42 of the 112 cases that...
...Beep...
VM: This is the voicemail system. To review your message, press 1. To delete and re-record your message, press 2. To send, press 3 or simply hangup.
Me: (Press 2--frustrated and grumbling)
VM: Please record.
...Beep...
Me: (Frustrated by trying to not let it come across) Hi John, this is Mindy from Northwest Ingredients. I'm calling in re...
...Beep...
VM: This is the voicemail system. To review your message, press 1. To delete and re-record your message, press 2. To send, press 3 or simply hangup.
Me: (Press 2--take a deep breath)
VM: Please record.
...Beep...
Me: HiJohnthisisMindyfromNorthwestIngredients...
...Beep...
VM: This is the voicemail system. To re...
Me: (Press 2)
VM: Please record.
...Beep...
Me: No coconut!
(hang up)

No comments: