Thursday, May 20

Praying for Wisdom

One of my favorite Bible verses, when I was in high school, was James 1:5.

"But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him." (NASB)

I remember reading this at some point in high school and it popped out to me in a fresh way. This verse was a promise! If you lack wisdom, ask God and He will give it to you! A + B = C

And I believed it! Throughout my four years in high-school, I prayed this verse numerous times. Over and over and over...day after day. I prayed for the wisdom that God promised to give and knew He'd provide.

Somewhere down the road, I stopped praying this prayer. I never came to the place where I said "I'm finally wise" but I began to see how God was answering this prayer and giving me His wisdom. I think seeing the fruits of wisdom "justified" me stopping. Years have floated by and occasionally when I've heard this verse or re-read it, I have thought, "I remember when..." or "I should really pray that again..." but never do.

It's not that the belief has gone away but rather the hunger for wisdom has subsided. You see, back then I so desperately wanted God to use me but knew I lacked in so many ways. If I'm honest, I think now I still want to be used by God but feel confident enough in myself and in my strengths that I figure that wisdom will be there when needed. But at the same time, there are areas in my life where I know that but for the wisdom of God, I will flounder aimlessly...I still need His help.

May this prayer, along with the hunger and desperation for God's involvement, once again permeate my heart.

No comments: