Tuesday, January 12

Masterpiece Theatre

I love Masterpiece Theatre.
Okay, I know that is a pretty inclusive statement but they have done a fab-u-lous job creating new movies of old wonderful books, as well as a few new stories to delight us Victorian-type fans.

In case what I have typed means nothing to you at this point, let me elaborate. Masterpiece Theatre must work in conjunction with BBC...all the movies air on the Public Broadcasting System, which means that there are delightfully no commercials.

Within the last two years, Masterpiece Theatre has created a new movie for almost all of the Jane Austen stories: Northanger Abbey, Mansfield Park, and Persuasion (**they haven't redone Pride and Prejudice but that really isn't needed after the wonderful 6 hour Colin Firth version...nothing can top that film, in my confident opinion). They have also done Elizabeth Gaskell's Wives & Daughters, North & South, and Cranford. And they have included the Bronte sisters: Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights. With the exception of Wuthering Heights, I have seen them all. And all of them have been delightful (especially Persuasion and North & South).

So imagine my surprise when my commrade in Victorian swooning, informed me that Masterpiece Theatre had created a "Return to Cranford." (**Another side note: unlike the other stories I mentioned, Cranford is not a book by itself. The movie Cranford is a compliation of at least two or three of Elizabeth Gaskell's other stories. Return to Cranford is just a continuation story...probably all of which was just made up.) Part 1 of Return to Cranford was this past Sunday and the conclusion will be this upcoming Sunday. THEN, in the two or three Sundays after that, is the newly created Emma! **happy sigh**

My friend said I could come over for the next month and watch these pieces of goodness with her...I told her not to invite me unless she was serious because I might just take her up on it and show up every.single.Sunday. She doesn't seem to worried about that...her husband might tired of me showing up though...

Anyhow, if you haven't watched any of these Masterpiece Theatre movies, let me encourage you to seek them out. You won't be disappointed.

No comments: