Thursday, August 27

Hobby or Gluten for Punishment

I like crafts...I like learning new crafts, trying out various things, and creating things with my hands, which is why I love playing in the kitchen so much. However this is not about cooking.

I learned how to crochet in college, which means I've been crocheting for 6 years now, I guess. I honestly still don't know if this is an activity I enjoy or dislike.

I have discovered that I only have a tolerance for small projects. The biggest thing I make are baby blankets. I have started three big (queen/king) blankets and have quit them all about 1/6th of the way into it because I get the point where I am so tired of the blanket and don't want to work on it any more. To further emphasize the point, I am tired of working on baby blankets when I reach the end, which is why that is generally the biggest project I do.

However, in an attempt to use up the oodles of yarn I have around my apartment, I am attempting yet another big blanket. I have dubbed this "the ugly blanket" because it was be filled with random colors of yarn that I want to get rid of. I showed my sister what I've done thus far and her comment was that it looks like a blanket that a grandma would have. I think she's right...but if I finish this, I'll be so proud!

So back to the beginning...do I love or hate crocheting? I think it's both. I like crafts and starting projects. I also like completing and achieving things. I think I dislike the in-between part...putting in the hours of work and tediously crocheting back and forth, back and forth, back and forth.

I hope this insight doesn't reflect how I approach the rest of my life. Maybe I should think on that!

No comments: