Wednesday, February 18

Coffee Snob

How does one stop being a coffee snob?

I am such a person. I know part of the snobbery is purely a mental thing. If Folgers is stamped on the bag, the word "instant," or if the coffee comes in a can, my nose goes up an inch (or two). I can drink about a cup of it but I don't enjoy it. It simply does not taste good. However give me coffee beans, nicely roasted, pretty much from any bulk company, and I become a happy, contented coffee drinker.

Has the great Starbucks spoiled me? Has going to Starbucks and other various coffee shops and espresso stands trained my taste buds to be disgusted with anything "cheap?" OR am I right to know that there is a significant difference, in taste and quality, because after all, I have had the privilege to roast many a coffee bean! I have worked in a coffee shop! Maybe I should be proud of such snobbery! I can distinguish a good coffee flavor...hear, hear!!

Here's what I'm afraid of though. God has called me to be a missionary. Missionaries sometimes have to live with things that are different from what is readily available in the USA. What if God calls me somewhere where coffee only comes in a can? ...gasp... What will I do? So back to my first question...how does one stop being a coffee snob?

Is there a 12-step program for such people?

2 comments:

Jerry and Kim said...

hey, good thoughts...speaking from experience, God knows your love for good coffee. He knows you...
We have good coffee, we sometimes have to search for it, but...we find it. So, do not fear....

Mindy said...

Thanks Kim! I'm glad to hear that!