Tuesday, January 20

Family

From 2004 to 2006, I had the privilege of serving in Germany, at a boarding school, as a Missionary Associate, with the Christian & Missionary Alliance (www.cmalliance.org). My time there was probably the best two years of my life in terms of ministry and relationships and the hardest two years of my life in terms of growth and relationships. I've discovered that when you begin to serve within a denomination (assuming that similar experiences happen in other denominations), the world becomes smaller, especially when serving overseas. You build connections with people which lead to connections with more people. It's a pretty amazing thing to be a part of. In seconds, strangers can become friends...you have other friends in common along with a life focus to serve in ministry.

This week is missions week at my church. One week every year, my church has about 3 missionaries join us for a week of activities. I have loved this week ever since I started my church about 20 years ago. The stories and lives of the missionaries has always captivated me, making me yearn with possibilities. This year, one of the couples we are blessed with is a couple serving in Bosnia Herzegovina. In the C&MA, Bosnia is part of the Balkan field, which includes Macedonia and Kosovo. Because of my time in Germany, I know four families that serve in the Balkan field, friends and co-workers of the couple now at my church. It is such a blessing to be able to talk about some of my kids/families, with someone who knows them! It has made me miss my kids terribly but also has been sweet just to think and remember them!

No comments: