Thursday, June 2

Psalm 143

About two years ago, I memorized Psalm 143. I had read it and thought the Psalm to be words I needed to really hear...so I worked on memorizing it.

Last night, the Bible reading plan that I am following had me back in this Psalm. Only this time, I read it from my New Living Translation, instead of my usual New American Standard Bible.
1 Hear my prayer, O Lord;
listen to my plea!
Answer me because you are faithful and righteous.

2 Don’t put your servant on trial,
for no one is innocent before you.

3 My enemy has chased me.
He has knocked me to the ground
and forces me to live in darkness like those in the grave.

4 I am losing all hope;
I am paralyzed with fear.

5 I remember the days of old.
I ponder all your great works
and think about what you have done.

6 I lift my hands to you in prayer.
I thirst for you as parched land thirsts for rain.

7 Come quickly, Lord, and answer me,
for my depression deepens.
Don’t turn away from me, or I will die.

8 Let me hear of your unfailing love each morning,
for I am trusting you.
Show me where to walk,
for I give myself to you.

9 Rescue me from my enemies, Lord;
I run to you to hide me.

10 Teach me to do your will,
for you are my God.
May your gracious Spirit lead me forward
on a firm footing.

11 For the glory of your name, O Lord, preserve my life.
Because of your faithfulness, bring me out of this distress.

12 In your unfailing love, silence all my enemies
and destroy all my foes,
for I am your servant.
While things have changed or developed in my life since I first memorized this, my heart still aches to see the will of God unfolded in my life. I want to be His faithful servant despite what may knock me about.

2 comments:

Tony Alicea said...

Wow, I can't say that I've ever memorized that long of a passage...um, ever. That's awesome.

I like verse 5 that you highlighted. There's something about remembering the works of God in the middle of a trial that brings hope to a dry and parched spirit!

Mindy said...

I just took it about 2 verses at a time...then kept building on the previous verses from the day before.

There have definitely been many times when reflecting on God's past faithfulness has encouraged me to press on!