Wednesday, September 29

Are we having fun yet???

In an attempt to add exercise into my regular weekly routine, I signed up for a "complimentary 7 day pass" at the local 24 Hour Fitness last Friday. While I can walk on a treadmill just fine, I want to find an activity that I enjoy, which will help me want to keep going. With this in mind, I have tried out two of their classes and I'm considering a third.

Friday night, I attempted a Zumba class for the first time. I must say that I laughed my way through it. Zumba involves a lot of hip and butt motions which I am not good at (and may possibly never be...) but I had fun and kept moving and walked away stinking like a horse. A overall success in my books.

Last night, I attended a "Shift and Lift" class. This is a cycling/spinning class interspersed with weights and exercises. The only time I laughed was about halfway through when I had to use my hands to fling my leg to the left to once more get off the bike. The rest of the time was filled with "what am I doing here? I think I'm dying! I'm going to go see Jesus tonight! Someone put a blanket next to the bike so I can fall off and curl up, I think I'm going to throw up..." The class started at 6:30 and by 6:50, I was already wondering how I'd make it to the end. From 6:50 to 7:15, my mantra was "just keep going, just keep moving." At when the clock said 7:15pm, I nearly shouted "Hallelujah, it's almost over!!" At 7:30, I was rejoicingly done. I was almost out of the building when I realized I forgot my purse in the class. So I had to walk all the way back to the room and then back out the front. The whole time, with every step my knees kept snapping into place, which made me walk funny and today, I could really use a donut to sit on as I'm pretty sure any bones in my butt are now bruised. However, despite all that, I would consider trying it again sometime in the future when I'm a bit stronger/healthier.

Tomorrow, I'm mulling over whether or not to take a Step aerobic class. I'm sure it will be amusing if I do especially as any arm and leg coordination is going to be awkward.

Anyhow, I'm not sure if I'm going to join 24 Hour Fitness or not. Part of me thinks that I'll go faithfully for about a month or two and then fizzle out and part of me said not to let that thought dictate my future and my need for regular exercise. So we'll see...

No comments: