Thursday, August 12

You can't take it back...

I've been thinking lately about my speech. I said something rude and unnecessary on Sunday. Thankfully it was just in the presence of my family and I immediately said sorry once it came out but I wish I hadn't made the comment to begin with.

It's amazing how one little word or comment can be like fire and just leave you feeling dirty or awful. Not a good feeling...anyhow, it got me thinking about a movie I like, You've Got Mail. There is this great scene about saying hurtful things...and I'm sharing it with you.

________________________________________

Joe writes on his computer. Brinkley on the floor next to him.
And cut between Joe and his computer screen.

JOE:
Do you ever feel you become the worst version of yourself? That a Pandora's Box of all the secret hateful parts -- your arrogance, your spite, your condescension -- has sprung open. Someone provokes you, and instead of just smiling and moving on, you zing them. Hello, it's Mr. Nasty. I'm sure you have no idea what I'm talking about.

As Kathleen reads the end of Joe's letter.
Kathleen hits the Reply key and starts to type:

KATHLEEN:
I know what you mean and I'm completely jealous. What happens to me when I'm provoked is that I get tongue-tied. My mind goes blank. Then I spend all night tossing and turning trying to think of what I should have said.

As he replies:

JOE:
Wouldn't it be wonderful if I could pass all my zingers to you and then I would never behave badly and you could behave badly all the time and we'd both be happy? On the other hand, I must warn you that when you finally have the pleasure of saying the thing you mean to say at the moment you mean to say it, remorse inevitably follows.

No comments: