Tuesday, June 1

Prayer Retreat

For 24 hours on Friday/Saturday, I was tucked away in this beautiful house seated next to the Pacific Ocean, with 16 other ladies. The program started at 5:30pm with dinner and then developed from there.

The highlight on Friday is that we walked down to this circular cement bunker and worshipped God through songs and prayers. The shape of the bunker amplified the sounds so even though there were only 17 of us, there was a full sound and you could hear all the harmonizing...truly beautiful! I would have loved to have stayed down there for another couple hours. Singing is one way I connect and feel closest to God.

On Saturday, we started off with 5 hours of quiet time. My sister and her team put together multiple stations to guide our thoughts and prayers, if need be. However, we were all encouraged to spend the time with God, in whatever way we wanted, as long as we were silent. It was good.

Going into this weekend, I wrote a note to God in my journal, telling Him that I really want to hear from Him in regards to two areas of my life: career/ministry and marriage. I would be happy with a word from Him in regards to either area or both. And here's what He gave me:

I will lead the blind by ways they have not known, along unfamiliar paths I will guide them;
I will turn the darkness into light before them and make the rough places smooth.
These are the things I will do; I will not forsake them. Isaiah 42:16
 
Also, seek the peace and prosperity of the city to which I have carried you into exile. Pray to the LORD for it, because if it prospers, you too will prosper. Jeremiah 29:7

My greatest frustration is that I feel clueless about the direction of my life. I anticipate being done with my Master's degree in December but am no closer to understanding what type of ministry He wants me in or where He wants me to serve. As for marriage, well...God is even quieter in regards to this. Looking forward, I feel blind and direction-less. Looking back, I see God's faithfulness and His hand throughout my entire life's history.

And while I'm not exactly in exile, the latter verse is a good reminder that God has put me where I am and I should thrive there. I should pray for my coworkers and for opportunities to serve the community. God wants to use me to bless others!

So, God didn't exactly speak to career/ministry or marriage but I did walk away from that time feeling encouraged to trust Him and to remain available to be used. All in all, a good reminder!

No comments: