Monday, April 20

Brokenhearted

This weekend I watched two movies on TV, both of which broke my heart. The first was "Little House on the Praire", a new three-part feature closely related to the books, and the second was "The Courageous Heart of Irena Sendler."

It was mankind's actions that lead me to tears in both movies. With "Little House," the white man drove the Indians from their land. Laura aked her parents where the Indians would go to which they replied, "out west." Her response was essentially, "if the white man keeps going west, where will the Indians go then?" Our government's fear and actions lead to a great disservice to the various Indian nations, changing their culture by forcing them onto reservations, and not supporting them as we should have. Our past actions have consequently led to the troubles that Indians are still having today. Sure, we throw thousands of dollars into college scholarships if you can prove to be a Native American, and I'm sure there are many other ways we help, but is it good enough. Honestly, I haven't done enough research to call a spade a spade here but our country's history breaks my heart. With "Irena Sendler," the movie is about a Polish woman who saves over 2500 Jewish children from the Gestapo, during WWII. A beautiful story about sacrifice and heroism but the death of so many people made me cry.

We, as a human race, are capable of great evil and destruction. How that must grieve God, the Creator and Author of each person! And even though my life is so different than the "white man" or the "gestapo," I can't help but think that I may be more like them than I'd like. May God help me to be courageous in the face of evil and convicted enough to help when and however possible!

No comments: